Global dealmakers: Asia-Pacific M&A market update 2020
27 October 2020
Mergermarket is pleased to present “Global dealmakers: Asia-Pacific M&A market update 2020”, published in association with Baker Tilly International.
First to feel the pains of COVID-19, Asia-Pacific may be one of the first regions to rebound in a post-pandemic world. Such is the sentiment among dealmakers where more than half say Asia-Pacific’s economic recovery will come sooner and swifter than in North America and Europe. Large numbers also say that Asia-Pacific has better M&A opportunities than other regions and that they will be increasing investment there in the year ahead.
This report explores the current challenges shaping the Asia-Pacific M&A market in addition to the main drivers behind cross-border deals and key markets where opportunities can be found.
Key highlights include:
- Investment intentions: 37% say they will be increasing investment in Asia-Pacific in the year ahead.
- Deal drivers: 38% say industry consolidation will be the main deal driver in the year ahead, alongside dealmakers seeking growth in emerging markets (30%).
- Key geographies: 90% of dealmakers say emerging Southeast Asia (excluding Singapore) offers the most M&A opportunities, while another 63% say Australia and India are also M&A hotspots.
- Private equity in the spotlight: 55% say there will be an increase in buyout activity in the year ahead.
- National security: 43% say matters of national security will impact or interrupt potential deals in the year ahead.